On Android, if the user turns Wi-Fi off, the phone will still scan for nearby Wi-Fi access points to help determine the phone's location (discussed in e.g. this article). Does iOS also have this feature?
- IPhone – How to turn WiFi on\off based on location
- IOS – Can an app in iOS 8 access Location Services even when it is not running
- IOS – iPhone will not connect to corporate WPA2/Enterprise network
- IOS – Does send last location work with location services off
- IOS Widget for turning Wi-Fi on/off
- IPhone – How does iPhone know I’m travelling with location services switched off
- IPhone – Does iOS hide your Wifi SSID information from your apps