I have a family member that did something a bit carelessly (but with good intentions) and I'm trying to help fix it.
They upgraded their iPhone 4 to iOS 5, but they did it from a different computer/iTunes than the one their iPhone was associated and synced with. This wiped out everything on the iPhone, of course.
Now I'm trying to help them restore data, apps, music, etc. There was a device backup in iTunes on the old laptop so I copied the contents of the MobileSync folder between the two systems. On the new laptop, I restored from backup via iTunes. Then, I proceeded to download all previous purchases in iTunes (apps, music), and then tried to sync:
- First I synced apps only. No problemo.
- Then I added music to the sync settings. Houston, we have a problem.
When I try to sync music it says that the iPhone is associated with another iTunes library and the phone will be erased. Ugh. If I only try to sync apps, there isn't an issue. But of course, they want their music copied back to the iPhone. 🙂
In short, how do I accomplish all of the following:
- Restore important data from the iTunes device backup copied from the old laptop
- Ability to sync all purchased/future purchases of music
- Ability to sync all purchased/future purchases of apps
Thanks in advance!