This is a rather noob and potentially silly question. I am planning to allow the user to randomly connect the 8 output pins of the 74HC595 to any of the 8 input pins of the 74HC165 shift out and shift in registers. I am trying recreate a digital Enigma machine. I am wondering if #1 and #2 from http://www.rugged-circuits.com/10-ways-to-destroy-an-arduino/ will allow me to add some extra protection to the input and output pins to the shift registers.
- Electronic – arduino – Sharing Clock and Data for 74HC595 and CD4021B Shift Registers
- Electronic – 74HC595 – Initial output voltage
- Electronic – Loading a shift register without displaying its contents/output
- Electronic – shift register that accepts 3.3V to drive several 5V relays
- Electrical – Simplest shift register test circuit – clock
- Electronic – 74HC595 with no latch pin