Learn English – Changing a person’s name into an adjective


What do you call it when a person's name or group's name is changed into a adjective? Is it "conversion" or "functional shift"?

For instance, saying a band's music is "Beatlesque" or that someone's singing will be "Aguilerian" (implying she will be singing with some gusto).

Best Answer

It's called an eponymous adjective.

From Wikipedia:

An eponymous adjective is an adjective which has been derived from the name of a person, real or fictional. Persons from whose name the adjectives have been derived are called eponyms.

The linked article has a huge list of such words.