Learn English – the term for a structure, unconnected to the main building, on an estate


For a large property, or estate, what is the term for buildings other than the main residence that are separate and unconnected?

Best Answer

Consider outbuilding, dependency, annex, and lodge.

outbuilding, (chiefly BrE) outhouse: a detached building subordinate to a main building

dependency: outbuilding; annex

annex: a building added on to a larger one or an auxiliary building situated near a main one.

lodge: a house on an estate originally for the use of a gamekeeper, caretaker, or porter