Learn English – the term for an incorrect word used in a sentence


My brain has drawn a blank. What is an adjective I can use to describe someone's use of a word that is similarly spelled, but not even close in definition to the word they intended to use.


I don't take myself too seriously but I can be a bit of a
contraction at times, a good or bad person.

I am almost positive they were going for something along the lines of "contradiction".

Best Answer

I would rather define such an act as "malapropism"(https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/malapropism).

However, if we look at the adjective "malapropos", then we find (as per the Merriam-Webster) that it is not pertinent specifically to the awry placement of words but refers to the misplacement of things in general (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/malapropos).