Learn English – the term for something who is not part of any group


I have multiple elements. Some of the elements have been associated with some particular group while some other are still alone (they are not part of any group)
Can you please suggest some term/word for such lonely element?

Best Answer

A singleton is defined (in one of its senses) as

singleton n ...

  1. a single object, individual, etc, separated or distinguished from a pair or group

[Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014]

For people (and your question needs tightening), a 'singleton' is a fairly rare word for a person not part of an 'item', and 'loner' would be more appropriate.

Related Question