Learn English – “Typo” for speech


Is there a word that describes a spoken error wherein the speaker accidentally replaces a phoneme with an incorrect one?

For example, an English teaches I had in high school once uttered the response "Yef" instead of "Yes", purely by accident. We all understood what he meant, as in the case of a typo, he just misspoke.

Best Answer

Wikipedia calls this a speech error or slip of the tongue (noted in the comments).

A speech error, commonly referred to as a slip of the tongue1 (Latin: lapsus linguae, or occasionally self-demonstratingly, lipsus languae), is a deviation (conscious or unconscious) from the apparently intended form of an utterance.

Related Question