Hello everyone, I'm using an ATMega8 Microcontroller ADC to convert the output of a photodiode to digital form. This digital data I've stored in a register of ATMega8. My requirement is to transfer the data from the ATMega8 register to a MATLAB variable.
I'm using a Laptop with two USB ports but no serial/parallel port. I cannot affort to use a DAQ or some custom solution for this purpose. Thus I think my only option is to use a USB to RS232 converter. Data is output from the microcontroller in serial format.
Here's what I understand:
- Data is stored in one of the registers of ATMega8. This is in hexadecimal.
- I place the data to be communicated in the UDR (UART Data Register) register of ATMega8.
- Data is transmitted through the Tx pin of the microcontroller in serial format.
- My USB to RS232 converter converts the serial data from the microcontroller to USB format.
- The USB end of the converter is connected to my PC.
- Data received at the USB port will be in a different format from the serially communicated data.
How can I get this data from that converter? I need to store the Hexadecimal value of the received data to a variable in MATLAB.
Would it be easier to use C/C++ to receive data and import it to MATLAB?
Once again, I cannot use a DAQ. The USB to RS232 converter isn't a supported brand. Its lika a homemade converter.
So is there a MATLAB solution for this? What should I do?