02.193GPPRelease 1999Stage 1Subscriber Identity Module Application Programming Interface (SIM API)TS
5.1 Loader Requirements
There are a number of requirements for the loader which are seen as being vital to the successful deployment of SIM API based SIMs:
– The Applet format shall be common to all compliant SIMs, such that a card issuer can deploy SIM API based service applets to any SIM API compliant SIM.
– The loader environment that allows the loading of applets to the SIM shall be common to all SIM API compliant SIMs. This loader shall be able to send applets to SIMs in three distinct ways:
– During the personalization of the SIM, prior to the issue of the SIM to the user.
– During the life of the SIM using the SIM Data Download mechanism defined in 3GPP TS 11.11  and 3GPP TS 03.48  or using other standardized mechanisms in the future.
– During the life of the SIM using an IFD (Interface Device) or CAD (Card Accepting Device, e.g. an EPOS terminal).
5.2 Application Transport
The transport of applications shall be transparent to the ME. Applications may be transported via several different bearers, e.g. SMS P-P, SMS-CB, USSD, GPRS etc. Transportation of applications to the SIM in a Phase 2+ SIM Application ME shall use the ENVELOPE command as specified in 3GPP TS 11.11 .
Other standardized transport commands to the SIM may be developed in the future. Transport commands other than ENVELOPE may be used to transport applets to the SIM if the SIM is not in an ME.