03.713GPPFunctional descriptionLocation Services (LCS)Release 1999Stage 2TS
Figure A.1: Non-Call Related MT-LR
1. A external Location Application (LA) sends a Location Request to a GMLC in its serving GPLMN requesting the location of a particular MS.
2. The GMLC queries the HLR of the MS to be located by sending a MAP query to the HPLMN of this MS. In order to route the query to the HLR, translation of the MSISDN of the MS to be located will be required. This translation may be performed within the GMLC and/or may be performed by intermediate STPs.
3. The HLR returns the E.164 address of the VMSC currently serving the MS in the VPLMN.
4. The GMLC forwards the location request to the VMSC and includes within it the identity of the LA. In order to route the request to the VMSC, translation of the E.164 address of the VMSC will be required. This translation may be performed within the GMLC and/or may be performed by intermediate STPs.
5. The VMSC verifies that the MS allows a non-call relkated MT-LR in its privacy exception list and that the LA identity provided by the GMLC matches an LA identity in the MS privacy exception list. The VMSC then interacts with an SMLC and possibly one or more LMUs in the VPLMN to perform positioning of the MS.
6. The resulting location estimate is returned by the VMSC to the GMLC. The VMSC uses the E.164 address or SS7 signaling point code of the GMLC, provided in step 4, to correctly route the location estimate to the GMLC in the GPLMN.
7. The GMLC returns the location estimate to the requesting LA.