So a little back-story. So I have two computers which I built. About a month ago or so one of them just stopped working (no power). This one in particular has a cosair 750w power supply (probably at least 3-4yrs old). So anyways I figured it had just went bad because we hardly ever shut the computer down.
Now last night I took my other computer (corsair 600w power supply) and moved it to the same location as the computer that died. I plugged it in and nothing. So I then checked the outlet. There is definitely power there. I also tried other outlets, still nothing.
SOME OTHER DETAILS:
- The first computer has been working for 3+ yrs with no problems.
- The second computer I built about 2 months ago.
- The night before the first computer stopped working my wife and I smelt something that smelt like burnt rubber.
We thought it was coming outside, but I have reason to believe it may have been the power strip. The reason I think it was the power strip is because the second computer made no smell before it died.
PROBLEM / QUESTION:
So with that in mind I am assuming I have a bad power strip. But what I don't understand is how a faulty power strip could cause two power supplies to go bad. Would a power supply go bad because of a lack of power? Or too much power?