I am using Firefox version 37.0.2 with an ethernet connection at a university in Bangkok. I consider the university a network a hostile environment as the majority of the computers on this network are running counterfeit versions of Windows, and I have seen a lot of viruses on them.
When I try to visit https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx (and other secure pages on microsoft.com), I get this error:
Secure Connection Failed
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
- I get no error when visiting the same url using Google Chrome v42.0.2311.135 or with Microsoft Internet Explorer v11.0.96
- If I connect to the Internet through a VPN (CyberGhost), I don't get the error at all.
- I have never added my university's security certificate to my Windows trusted store. I have checked
certmgrand cannot see anything related to my university.
I would be really grateful if anyone can answer:
- Why only Firefox?
- Why does using a VPN fix it?
- If I don't trust the university network, would I be safer doing all my web browsing through a trusted VPN?