How to type carriage return


How do I type a carriage return control character, in Windows or in Linux?

I'd like to type a backspace character too.

Best Answer

  • In Linux, your keyboard will send carriage return if you type Ctrl-M, linefeed when you type Ctrl-J, and backspace when you type Ctrl-H. Can't say with Windows, since you can be typing into so many different kinds of text-input controls, including a console window.