I recently build a new system with the following specs:
CPU: i7-7700, PSU: evga 550 g3, MB: msi-z270-a-pro, RAM: cosair vengeance 4×4 gb, SSD: Intel 600p m2
, (no graphics card at the moment)
Whenever I turn on the PSU by using the on/off switch on the back of the PSU, the CPU-fan and the rest of the case-coolers starts to spin. At the same time the CPU debug-led on my motherboard lights up (notice there are four debug-leds – CPU, dram, VGA and boot – and only the CPU-light is on).
Details: I can perfectly fine boot into windows by using the case on/off switch, but when I turn off the PC, the fans keep spinning and the debug-led lights up again (the debug-led on the motherboard turns off, when I turn on the PC). The only way I can make the fans stop spinning is by turning off the PSU, thus removing the power.
The PC recognizes both the ram and the CPU.
What I have tried so far:
- I have tried running my system with an older PSU (corsair 700w gs). When I do this, everything is running fine – the fans stop spinning, when I turn off my PC. Also the CPU debug-led is off.
- I have tried using the new PSU on an older system with an Asus P8Z68-V motherboard. Everything works fine and there are no problems.
- No pins on the CPU socket are broken.
- I have checked that all connections are properly connected – especially the front case-connectors, including the case-switch.
- I have updated bios and all drivers (even though it seems like it is not a software problem)
- (i do not have a case speaker at the moment, so I can’t hear any beeps, but i am looking to get one as soon as possibly)
- I have tested the ram sticks and there does not seem to be a problem with the ram – also, the PC boots fine.
- I have tried various settings in the bios.
- I have tried resetting the CMOS.
- Problem persists when I try to shut down in safe mode.
I think it is very weird, as both the PSU and the motherboard functions fine in other setups. Based on my testing it seems like the motherboard (msi-z270-a-pro) or the power supply (evga g3 550) are causing the problem.
Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
Does anyone know how I can further test my system and figure out what part is malfunctioning?