I have seen it with both VBox native VDI format and VMDK format. Even though I delete files from virtual drive, I see it always keeps growing. I have some vague idea that file zero-ing doesn't happen with the virtual drives from this link. When I tried to do that with SDelete (as said in the link) it didn't reduce the VDi disk size. I have applications which once installation grows the disk to 10GB each time. I believe there should be some simple way to zero it than going through the tedious process, is there any? Is there any option in VirtualBox to keep virtual drive small?
- Mac – ny performance difference between the VMDK and VDI virtual disk formats with Virtual Box
- Mac – Time machine friendly virtual machine (VirtualBox) image files
- VirtualBox – reduce max-size of dynamic .vdi hard disk
- VirtualBox virtual drive actual size not increasing
- How to shrink VirtualBox vdi for HFS+ guest OS