I recently ran into the same problem that quite a number of users are having after a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. I have recently had to recover a number of Windows Laptops to their factory installed settings. Windows 7 Update got stuck on all of them. After much research on a number of sights, and much trial and error I was able to solve the issue by installing the following updates manually in the order below. I restarted each laptop after each of the updates were installed. Once all the updates were installed I then ran Windows Update which found more updates to install. I have used this solution on a number of different laptops and it has worked on all of them. I hope this helps those users having similar issues.