The service won't start. I've set it to automatic and manually tried starting it. I've verified any dependencies are started.
- I ran net start "Windows Search" and received the error "Service specific error 2147750271"
- I ran sfc /scannow and received a ~1MB file of corrupted things that couldn't be repaired.
- I attempted to go in to the Indexing Options->Advanced->troubleshooting (it was grayed out)
- I attempted to remove the Indexing feature and the Windows Search feature from Add/remove programs and then re-add them after a reboot and that did not work either.
- I ran net start trustedinstaller, which succeeded, but the same error message showed up when I tried the sfc again.
Any ideas? I think I should start by fixing the sfc /scannow errors but I'm not sure the best way to do that.The laptop recently had the HD cloned to a SSD (sector size changed) but it has otherwise been working fine.
Thanks for any help!
Edit – Booted to the system recovery partition, ran sfc /scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=C:\ and received an error that the "Resource Protection Service" could not start.