I recently bought an Asus X401A laptop. For some reason, I cannot get internet access on the wireless connection. The wireless connection succeeds and I can see other computers on the network once connected. If I run ipconfig, I get a good IP and the default gateway is right.
Some info that may help:
- Running Windows 8 (Had the problem when it was Windows 7, but thought upgrading may help)
- Comcast is my ISP and I'm using the router that they supplied
- Connecting with an ethernet cable works fine and does allow for internet connectivity.
- Authentication is WPA2/AES, but tried with no authentication as well
- The default gateway is 10.0.0.1
- Network adapter is by RaLink
- Tried getting latest version of RaLink driver
- Windows 8 install switched network adapter driver. Now uses Microsoft driver
- Windows network troubleshooter does not solve the problem (just says default gateway unreachable)
- Tried to connect at a public wifi hotspot and it worked just fine
- Have several other devices connected (pc, ipad, ipod, tv, wii, phone, etc…) to the same router with no problem
- Tried rebooting the router
- Tried resetting router to defaults
- Confirmed that there is no mac address filtering enabled
- When connected, network comes up as unidentified and I'm never given the option to designate the network as a Home network
- Pinging the default gateway times out
- Tracert to the gateway IP returns "Destination host unreachable"
- USB wifi adapter from the same laptop works fine
- Turned off IPV6 for the adapter
- Tried manually setting all of the IPV4 configuration (default gateway, dns servers, etc..)
Any suggestions would be appreciated.