Ubuntu – Apt-get stuck at 0 [Connecting to us.archive.ubuntu.com]

14.04aptcommand lineupdatesupgrade

When I do upgrade it gets stuck here:

user@plato:~# sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  bind9-host coreutils cpio curl dnsutils libbind9-90 libc-bin libc-dev-bin
  libc6 libc6-dev libcgmanager0 libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls libdns100
  libdrm-intel1 libdrm-nouveau2 libdrm-radeon1 libdrm2 libisc95 libisccc90
  libisccfg90 libjasper1 liblwres90 libplymouth2 libsepol1 libssl-dev
  libssl-doc libssl1.0.0 linux-libc-dev mime-support multiarch-support ntp
  ntpdate openssl plymouth plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text python3-distupgrade
  ubuntu-release-upgrader-core unzip
39 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 16.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 12.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
0% [Connecting to us.archive.ubuntu.com (2001:67c:1562::15)] ░

When I do update it gets stuck here:

user@plato:~# apt-get update
0% [Connecting to us.archive.ubuntu.com (2001:67c:1562::14)] [Connecting to sec░

I'm able to ping us.archive.ubuntu.com just fine:

user@plato:~# ping us.archive.ubuntu.com
PING us.archive.ubuntu.com ( 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from economy.canonical.com ( icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=81.5 ms
64 bytes from economy.canonical.com ( icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=81.5 ms
64 bytes from economy.canonical.com ( icmp_seq=3 ttl=54 time=81.5 ms
64 bytes from economy.canonical.com ( icmp_seq=4 ttl=54 time=81.4 ms
--- us.archive.ubuntu.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3004ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 81.425/81.528/81.582/0.355 ms

What can i do to fix this?

What I have tried so far.

I've tried following directions on this blog: http://nickescobedo.com/719/ubuntu-apt-get-hangs-at-0

To force apt-get to use IPv4 exclusively

  • Create a file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99force-ipv4
  • Add this line to newly created file Acquire::ForceIPv4 false;
  • Apt-get will now use IPv4 exclusively

Best Answer

  • I figured out how to get apt-get to work again.

    Edit gai.conf:

    sudo vim /etc/gai.conf

    change line ~54 to uncomment the following:

    precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100

    write and quit:



    Look out line 50 which looks almost identical:

    precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  10

    This is the wrong line. Go ~4 lines down and you'll find the correct line to uncomment because it ends with 100 instead of 10

  • Related Question