I recently purchased an SSD to upgrade my 6 year old laptop to use for school. I just spent a lot of time customizing Ubuntu to how I like it and I didn't want to do it again, so I thought I could save some time and just clone my HDD to the new SSD.
Currently using Ubuntu 16.04.
I realized I probably messed up at several steps below. I hope it can be fixed.
The steps I used:
Using USB 2.0 to SATA converter, connected SSD to laptop. It showed up as /dev/sdb in Disks. My current HDD shows up at /dev/sda1.
Formatted /dev/sdb to NTFS
sudo dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb
It was running for two hours but it's a 500Gb HDD that I'm cloning. It was going too slowly and I needed the laptop the next morning, so I did some more googling.
I stopped the dd run
Disks > Formatted /dev/sdb again (my logic was that I wanted to start over.. but I chose "Don't overwrite existing data" because overwriting was going to take a long time…)
sudo dd if=/dev/sda1 | pv | sudo dd of=/dev/sdb bs=100M
Leave it sitting overnight, it's finished in the morning
I get home from work and try to boot from the SSD, but it can't. When I look in Disks, it doesn't even see the SSD when it's plugged in. Same thing in GParted, there's nothing.
I royally messed up. Help. 🙁 I just want to be able to see the SSD again and I will just install Ubuntu normally.
Edit: was able to fix it by connecting the ssd to a desktop with windows and reformatting using their disk management tool. Reconnected to Linux, made a bootable partition and installed Ubuntu. Transferred files over, swapped drives out physically.
I'll be more careful next time and just stick to methods I know that work. Thanks for the help.