This question is here just to avoid you choosing the wrong Ubuntu version number.
So, this is not about:
- Which flavour of Ubuntu to choose?
- nor about choosing the Server or Desktop version…
- nor Which desktop environment should I install?
- nor Which Ubuntu is best for my hardware?
- nor What is the difference between LTS and normal releases?
- nor What is the meaning of version numbers?.
So in the answer below a simple guide as to what Ubuntu version is good for you, independent of future releases!