Sometimes, a graphical text editor like
kate cannot be used (because you're in a virtual console for example). Luckily, there are text editors for the terminal. An easy one is
nano, but I cannot understand how to work with it.
If I start
nano by running
nano, the bottom text is supposed to help me but all I see are things like
^G Get Help ^O WriteOut.
- How can I open text files for editing?
- How can I save the file?
- How can I quit the editor without saving the changes?
- How to edit? I heard that you've to enter some commands to begin editing in
vi, is this true for
- Sometimes, if I manage to open a file, the text is unreadable due to its colors. How can I disable these colors? (see the image below)
- In the some files, lines are truncated because those do not fit in the screen. How can I prevent that from happening? (see the image below)