Ubuntu – Is Apt-get Update Lag Related to Google Chrome

aptgoogle-chromerepository

I have Google Chrome installed from the Google Chrome repository. When I run sudo apt-get update, I notice that getting headers relating to Google Chrome takes more time than is needed to get all the other headers.

I thought it was normal but today I came across an (old) bug page that initially suggested use of sudo apt-get -o Acquire::http::Pipeline-Depth=0 update instead of the basic sudo apt-get update and later stated that the problem was fixed (by April 2010). However, I feel I'm currently having the same problem: the process rapidly completes ~97% in under 5 sec but the remaining ~3%, involving the Google Chrome headers, takes a couple of minutes or so more. Using sudo apt-get -o Acquire::http::Pipeline-Depth=0 update doesn't significantly improve things.

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10, fully updated.

Edit on 20120502

Just an observation: I updated to 18.0.1025.168 (Official Build 134367) and left the ppa ticked but it doesn't seem to be a problem now. I see: Fetched 6,385 kB in 2min 31s (42.0 kB/s).

Best Answer

This is a problem with Google's server, the bug is reported here.

As outlined many times in that report, there's no need to pollute the bug with +1 or "me too comments" as someone is working on it and that just spams everyone on the bug, clicking the star in the bug report to show it affects you is how you can help.

You can temporarily remove the repository by following these instructions, or you can just untick the box to temporarily disable it:

However this also means you won't get Chrome updates, so what I do is disable it and then reenable it once a week or so to check for updates.