Ubuntu – Killer 1535 802.11ac 2×2 on Dell XPS 13 kaby lake not working under Ubuntu 16.10

16.10dellnetworking

I have a Dell XPS 13 Kaby Lake, running Ubuntu 16.10.

The wireless card in this device is "Killer 1535 802.11ac 2×2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1".

Lately, I'm having increasingly severe problems connecting to a network, to the point where I can currently not access the internet at all. I've tried the solution here Getting Killer Wireless-AC 1535 working for installing Ubuntu 16.04, but it's not working for my machine. I used the latest version available at the time of writing (1.162).

I'm getting 2 warnings (possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/... for module i915) on running modprobe. After rebooting, dmesg lines containing ath are:

[   40.976042] ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[   40.999663] ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0: pci irq msi oper_irq_mode 2 irq_mode 0 reset_mode 0
[   41.280248] ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/pre-cal-pci-0000:3a:00.0.bin failed with error -2
[   41.280261] ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/cal-pci-0000:3a:00.0.bin failed with error -2
[   41.280756] ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0: Direct firmware load for ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-5.bin failed with error -2
[   41.280760] ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0: could not fetch firmware file 'ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-5.bin': -2
[   41.283081] ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0: qca6174 hw3.2 target 0x05030000 chip_id 0x00340aff sub 1a56:1535
[   41.283084] ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0: kconfig debug 0 debugfs 1 tracing 1 dfs 0 testmode 0
[   41.283513] ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0: firmware ver WLAN.RM.2.0-00180-QCARMSWPZ-1 api 4 features wowlan,ignore-otp,no-4addr-pad crc32 75dee6c5
[   41.349058] ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0: board_file api 2 bmi_id N/A crc32 6fc88fe7
[   43.496457] ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0: htt-ver 3.26 wmi-op 4 htt-op 3 cal otp max-sta 32 raw 0 hwcrypto 1
[   43.581127] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x6c
[   43.581128] ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a direct regpair map
[   43.581130] ath: Country alpha2 being used: 00
[   43.581130] ath: Regpair used: 0x6c
[   43.585473] ath10k_pci 0000:3a:00.0 wlp58s0: renamed from wlan0
[   55.450429] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x8114
[   55.450434] ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a country code
[   55.450435] ath: doing EEPROM country->regdmn map search
[   55.450436] ath: country maps to regdmn code: 0x37
[   55.450437] ath: Country alpha2 being used: DE
[   55.450437] ath: Regpair used: 0x37
[   55.450438] ath: regdomain 0x8114 dynamically updated by country IE

Notice the firmware messages at 41.280.

What could I do? I'm willing to do a downgrade to 16.04 if it would help.

Some other observations:

  • I AM connected to the networks that I try to connect to, it seems, and the device is assigned an IPv4 address.
  • Entering an url in firefox is not loading anything, however. Also pinging won't return anything.
  • Even though I was able to access the internet when I first installed 16.10, I currently cannot access any sites even when using a clean live USB to "try out Ubuntu".

Here is a screenshot showing that a network is connected, but nothing is coming through ping:

enter image description here

Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Best Answer

  • The first thing I suggest is to update the firmware. With a working internet connection, please open a terminal and do:

    wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_1.162_all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i linux-firmware_1.162_all.deb 
    

    Reboot and tell us if connectivity has improved. If you are still having issues, please show us:

    dmesg | grep ath
    

    Please check the settings in the router. WPA2-AES is preferred; not any WPA and WPA2 mixed mode and certainly not TKIP. Second, if your router is capable of N speeds, you may have better connectivity with a channel width of 20 MHz in the 2.4 GHz band instead of automatic 20/40 MHz, although it is likely to affect N speeds. I also have better luck with a fixed channel, either 1, 6 or 11, rather than automatic channel selection. Also, be certain the router is not set to use N speeds only; auto B, G and N is preferred. After making these changes, reboot the router.

    Next, I recommend that your regulatory domain be set explicitly. Check yours:

    sudo iw reg get
    

    If you get 00, that is a one-size-maybe-fits-all setting. Find yours here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2 Then set it temporarily:

    sudo iw reg set IS
    

    Of course, substitute your country code if not Iceland. Set it permanently:

    gksudo gedit /etc/default/crda
    

    Use nano or kate or leafpad if you don't have the text editor gedit.

    Change the last line to read:

    REGDOMAIN=IS
    

    Proofread carefully, save and close the text editor.

    Next, I'd set IPv6 to Ignore in Network Manager: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/Installation_Guide/images/netconfig/network-connections-ipv6-ignore.png This example is for ethernet, but you want wireless.