I am using ubuntu 12.10.
I use a ZTE USB 3G Modem to connect to internet. I connect that modem through a driver software which was provided with the modem. This modem works fine. I can browse , use apt-get through terminal.
But the problem is network-manager cant detect my modem. It shows nothing in the top bar. Because of this I –
- Can't use Ubuntu Software Center
- Can't use VPN services
- Can't create wifi hotspot
First of all i am telling what i have noticed about this modem:
- When I connect this modem first time that driver software can't detect it. This time ' lsusb ' command give this lsusb(before) . After unplugging and plugging for 2-3 times that software can detect modem and output of lsusb changed to lsusb(new). And ths time ubuntu also find a cd-rom by which driver software is delivered. But if i connect modem before starting Ubuntu that driver software can detect modem at first time!!
- I have tried to connect this modem through ' Mobile Broadband ' option but unfortunately this option can't detect my modem under ' create a connection for this mobile broadband device ' option.
- I think that driver software use wvdial to connect to the internet as I have to install wvdial before installing that software. I have tried to connect to internet using wvdial from terminal. wvdial works fine. And I can use internet. But can't solve network-manager problem.
- Also used sakis3g. sakis3g can connect my modem but this also can't solve the network-manager problem.
Now I am telling what I have done till now to solve that network-manager problem:
I have tried this code with root privilege:
echo vendor productID > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
It didn't work.
One more thing its confusing what will be my productID for this code 0154(which lsusb finds before modem gets detected by driver software)? or 2003(which lsusb finds after modem gets detected by driver software and find a cd-rom)?
I think usb_modeswitch can help me solving this problem but i don't know how to use usb_modeswitch or create configuration file with it.
Thats all. Now my question is whats wrong? Is there any solution to get my modem detected by network-manager?