I am having a lot of problems with Wifi (wired connection don't have any issues). The strange thing is that happens only on my Ubuntu 18.04.4 x86_64 4.15.0-101-generic computer (I also tried to reinstall and put the 20.04 fresh, but nothing changed), all others have Windows/Android and are not affected.
What happens is that after a while browsing, I lose my internet connection, leaving the icon in the upper right corner with the question mark and getting "err_disconnected_internet", "dns_probe_finished_nxdomain" or "dns_probe_finished_no_internet" from Chrome. To "solve" I need to switch from the 2.4G network to the 5G network (and vice versa), but soon afterwards the problem occurs, often in less than 5 minutes (sometimes more, sometimes less).
I've tried several things, but all without success, I'll leave all of them here:
When viewing the
dmseg -w command information, I saw that my country code (which is currently Brazil) was apparently changed to IE:
[1610.124972] wlp2s0: associated [1610.125195] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x804c [1610.125197] ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a country code [1610.125200] ath: doing EEPROM country-> regdmn map search [1610.125202] ath: country maps to regdmn code: 0x3b [1610.125205] ath: Country alpha2 being used: BR [1610.125206] ath: Regpair used: 0x3b [1610.125210] ath: regdomain 0x804c dynamically updated by country IE [1610.159599] wlp2s0: Limiting TX power to 30 (30 - 0) dBm as advertised by ...
I tried to change in
/etc/default/crda, but without success. Afterwards, I tried to disable powersave by changing
/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf to "2", but also without success.
Note: even after the two changes above, the output of
dmseg -w remains the same, but
iwconfig really shows that powersave is disabled.
After that, I tried reinstall netwok-manager, use Google Public DNS, and nothing changed.
After erasing everything and placing 20.04, I thought I had solved the problem, but it come back shortly after.
I managed to get some logs just before the drop:
journalctl -u NetworkManager –follow
jun 08 00:38:26 lucius-Lenovo-ideapad-320 NetworkManager: <info> [1591587506.4061] dhcp6 (wlp2s0): state changed unknown -> bound jun 08 00:38:29 lucius-Lenovo-ideapad-320 NetworkManager: <info> [1591587509.3816] manager: NetworkManager state is now CONNECTED_GLOBAL
jun 08 00:39:00 lucius-Lenovo-ideapad-320 systemd: Starting Clean php session files... jun 08 00:39:00 lucius-Lenovo-ideapad-320 systemd: phpsessionclean.service: Succeeded. jun 08 00:39:00 lucius-Lenovo-ideapad-320 systemd: Finished Clean php session files. jun 08 00:39:01 lucius-Lenovo-ideapad-320 CRON: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0) jun 08 00:39:01 lucius-Lenovo-ideapad-320 CRON: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php/sessionclean ] && if [ ! -d /run/systemd/system ]; then /usr/lib/php/sessionclean; fi) jun 08 00:39:01 lucius-Lenovo-ideapad-320 CRON: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root jun 08 00:39:32 lucius-Lenovo-ideapad-320 systemd-resolved: Using degraded feature set (UDP) for DNS server 2804:.... jun 08 00:39:33 lucius-Lenovo-ideapad-320 systemd-resolved: Using degraded feature set (UDP) for DNS server 2804:....
Here's some outputs:
lo no wireless extensions. docker0 no wireless extensions. wlp2s0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"NAME_5G" Mode:Managed Frequency:5.785 GHz Access Point: ... Bit Rate=6 Mb/s Tx-Power=30 dBm Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off Power Management:off Link Quality=53/70 Signal level=-57 dBm Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:154 Missed beacon:0 virbr0 no wireless extensions. enp1s0 no wireless extensions. virbr0-nic no wireless extensions.
lspci | grep -i wireless:
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8) auto lo iface lo inet loopback
nameserver 127.0.0.53 options edns0 search spo.virtua.com.br
Please, I really don't know what else to do
I forgot to mention something that may be very relevant:
Only on this particular network do I have drops, on any other I have no problems.
I don't know how much of a coincidence this is, but apparently accessing some specific sites makes the wifi go down faster, like some W3 Schools pages, giving me the following log:
Jun 08 02:09:24 lucius-Lenovo-ideapad-320 systemd-resolved : Server returned error NXDOMAIN, mitigating potential DNS violation DVE-2018-0001, retrying transaction with reduced feature level UDP
With some research, I stopped that this is just an alert, and it didn't cause an error in itself…