I use Time Machine on my Mac to back up to a WD MyCloud EX2. I'm setting up an Ubuntu machine and would like to set up something similar so everything on the machine is automatically backed up to a RAID 1 system.
Here is what is important to me:
- Back up to a RAID 1 volume so any 1 drive can fail on the backup server and I'm still ok
- Able to view history for any file and restore individual files easily
- Simple to configure – I don't want my backups failing because I messed up some super complicated backup procedure 😀
Are there any RAID 1 NAS solutions that work out of the box for Ubuntu?
I've tried to find some existing solutions but none of them seem to be ideal:
- TimeVault – seems to be unmaintained
- Cronopete – no check-ins for 3 months, not sure how active it is
- Back In Time – doesn't seem easy to restore individual files
- Dela Dup – Seems like a good client but it seems the NAS needs to be configured independently?
- OwnCloud – Useful interface but it seems I would have to set up a web server on the backup server side?