Today I installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit. The installation went well with no sign of issues.
On boot everything seems fine until I get to the login screen. After putting in my password and logging in the login screen disappears, however unity never loads and the mouse and keyboard become non-responsive. The only thing on the screen is the background image for the desktop. The only thing I can do at that point is force power down.
Some other possibly relevant info:
- Computer is a Dell Vostro 3300 with Nvidia Optimus (this laptop model
came with 2 versions of optimus, mine is the 2nd version that can
actively switch between discrete/onboard and does not require a
reboot to do so)
- Unfortunately Dell did not supply a way to disable Optimus in BIOS on this model.
- Tried fresh installs from 2 different flash drives and 2 live CDs.
- No problems with previous installs of 12.04,12.10,13.04 and
- Reinstalled 13.10 and then upgraded to 14.04 with same results.
- Can interact with items on login screen with no issues.
Not sure what to try next?